A Federal treasure, Georgian glories, and an estate-in-the-making
By Mary K. Mewborn
Washington Fine Properties’ sister realtors Heidi Hatfield and Anne Hatfield Weir have helped sell one of Georgetown’s best preserved architectural treasures for $4.6 million. The 7,000 square-foot Federal at 3263 N Street NW was erected along historic Smith’s Row in 1805. Designed for opulent entertaining, this elegantly appointed building has for two centuries been the site of formal dinners and grand receptions attended by foreign and domestic dignitaries alike. Once the home of Missouri Senator Stuart Symington, the house later belonged to Marvin and Dolly Kay and then to Daniel J. Terra, a chemical industry magnate and President Reagan’s ambassador for cultural affairs, and his wife Judith. Most recently the row house was the residence of John R. Phillips and Linda Douglass.
In Northwest’s posh Berkley neighborhood, a four-story Colonial-style mansion situated on a double lot at 2509 Foxhall Road NW and once owned by the late David Greenewalt, a geophysicist and Dupont chemical heir, has been bought in trust for $4.7 million. Built in 1939, the stately residence has a grand foyer, embassy-size public rooms, two fireplaces, six bedrooms, five and a half baths and a swimming pool. Sarah Howard and Susie Maguire with Georgetown Long and Foster were the listing agents.