Looking for some fun things to do this weekend? Here are our top five picks.
1. Bring out the romantic in you and watch the romantic comedy, “Desk Set” starring Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracey under the stars with your beloved on Friday night from 8:30-10:30 PM at the Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens (4155 Linnean Ave. NW Washington, DC). Tickets are $10 for college students and those under 18, and $15 for others.
2. Hit the streets on Saturday for the annual Capital Pride street parade. Live entertainment will begin at 3 PM on P Street NW between 14th and 15th streets with drag queen performances. At 5:30 get ready to watch floats that will flood the streets with people in outrageous costumes, hair, and make-up, as they make their way over to Dupont Circle.
3. In honor of DC’s Jazz Festival, head over to a free concert on the National Mall at 1 PM on Sunday featuring trumpeter Roy Hargrove, Latin jazz pianist Eddie Palmieri and harmonica hotshot Frederic Yonnet.
4. Cool down from the summer heat on Sunday from 3 PM till 1 AM at the Donovan House Hotel’s free rooftop pool party. Lounge out and work on your summer tan while jamming to tunes spun by DJs Stereofaith, Chris Burns, Gavin Holland, Tom Lim and Jerome Baker III. Be sure to get there early to get a good spot.
5. Beat the heat by heading over to the Textile Museum and looking at their “Green the Color and the Cause” exhibit that looks into the meaning of the color green in different cultures, how its meaning has changed through the years, and the different techniques devised to create green textiles.