Children’s National Health System joins with area businesses to raise $1 million for kids in need.
Throughout the month of March, you don’t have to feel guilty about those Shake Shack burgers or clothing boutique binges, because there’s a good chance a portion of your spending will go straight to patients at Children’s National.
More than 150 businesses including fitness centers, retailers and restaurants across D.C. have joined the inaugural “Make March Matter” initiative, a campaign that aims to raise at least $1 million to improve children’s health and ensure that every sick child, regardless of background, can receive the life-saving care that Children’s National provides, regardless of insurance or ability to pay.
At a kickoff event last Thursday, patient ambassadors and local influencers rang a symbolic “Victory Bell” at Children’s National Atrium, and a special announcement was made: TV personality Bret Baier and his family will match ALL Make March Matter DC donations up to $100,000. Baier’s son Paul, who was born with a rare congenital heart defect, received life-saving surgeries and treatment at Children’s.
“Children’s National holds a very special place in our hearts…” Baier said. “We recognize that our family’s story is not unique and we challenge the D.C. community to come together during the month of March to ensure that all children have access to the exceptional care our son received at Children’s.”
From charitable fitness nights to special menu items, these are a few ways local businesses will be giving back:
- CityCenterDC is hosting a blood drive and block party on March 16-17, with participants including FlyBarre (a special fitness class on March 17 will donate 100% of proceeds); Kate Spade, David Yurman and Vince (all donating 10% of sales) and Milk Bar will be giving out free desserts to anyone who donates blood.
- Preppy retailer J.McLaughlin will donate 15% of proceeds during Sip & Shop events at select locations (March 15 in Georgetown and March 20 in Bethesda).
- Veluxe will donate 15% of proceeds from all sales and services booked on the beauty-on-the-go app throughout the month of March.
- Jewelry and home decor shop Kendra Scott will donate 20% of proceeds during shopping events at select locations throughout the month.
- Yards Park restaurant Agua 301 will donate 15% of proceeds every Sunday in March.
- Westfield Mall will donate all coins collected in fountains from March 1-31.
For a complete list of participants, visit MakeMarchMatterDC.org.